Technical Information: Hanging Instructions
Commercial Wallcovering Hanging Instructions
All wall surfaces should be structurally sound. Sand finished plaster should be smoothed. In order to insure good adhesion, old wallcovering and loose paint flakes should be removed. All wall surfaces should be primed with a suitable acrylic primer (ECO-988 by Roman recommended). Do not hang wallcovering over ballpoint pen writing, wax crayon, wick pen markings, or foreign matter that may be on the wall. These impurities may bleed through the wallcoverings even a year after installation. It is suggested that lead pencils be used to mark wallcovering or walls as the use of a pencil should not produce bleed through after effects.
In order to insure maximum smoothness of installation, nail heads, nicks, gouges and other surface imperfections should be sanded smooth and sealed. On new walls, dry wall joints should be taped, bedded and sanded smooth.
One of the characteristics of vinyl wallcovering is that it has little or no moisture permeability. This characteristic can be an important benefit in terms of cleanability and wall protection and in limiting interior moisture (e.g. bathrooms) from entering the wall cavity. However, if the design, construction or maintenance of a building, or other circumstances allows liquid or vapor moisture to accumulate in a wall or wall cavity, vinyl wallcovering can act as a vapor barrier restricting the escape of moisture and increasing the risk of mold growth.
Buildings that have moisture infiltration problems are at risk for mold and mildew growth and any such problems must be corrected prior to the installation of vinyl wallcovering. This product is intended for use in buildings that are properly designed and maintained to avoid moisture infiltration, condensation and/or accumulation at wall cavities and wall surfaces, particularly in warm, humid climates.
A PREMIUM QUALITY PREMIXED FULL STRENGTH VINYL ADHESIVE (ECO-788 CLAY ADHESIVE OR ECO-888 CLEAR ADHESIVE BY ROMAN RECOMMENDED) SHOULD BE APPLIED TO THE FABRIC SIDE OF THE WALLCOVERING RATHER THAN THE WALL. DO NOT DILUTE PASTE.
The adhesive should be stored at room temperature (70˚F).
1. Store the wallcovering in a clean, dry and protected environment. Maintain for 72 hours at not less than 70°F (but less than l00°F) prior to and during the installation.
2. Before cutting, be sure the pattern and color are satisfactory as specified.
3. Before hanging, examine pattern for color uniformity and repeat in design. If there is no design repeat (random texture) patterns should normally be reverse hung.
4. All material must be installed in numerical roll sequence starting with the highest number.
5. IF, AFTER APPLYING THREE (3) STRIPS, THERE IS SOME QUESTION OF APPEARANCE, STOP AND CONTACT YOUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE.
6. Apply an even coat of adhesive to the fabric side of material using a roller or pasting machine. The wallcovering should be booked for a minimum of 15 minutes. When pasting several strips in advance, booking is recommended to insure proper wetting out of the fibers and to prevent drying out of paste on the edges. Install wall covering using a plastic smoother, working out air bubbles.
7. This wallcovering is untrimmed. Both match and random patterns must be double cut. On match patterns we recommend notching the overlapping selvage exposing the underlying pattern to insure a proper match.
8. Only full widths of material should be used for the most satisfactory installation. Headers can cause unsatisfactory shading if hung out of sequence; as with all vinyl wallcoverings, certain deeply embossed patterns will provide a more satisfactory seam if a selvage cut is taken from each side of the sheet ("double cut"). Do not "score" the dry wall.
9. Wall surface should be smooth, clean, dry, structurally sound, free of mold, mildew, grease or stains, and undamaged.
10. Before installation, verify that wall moisture content does not exceed 4% (using a suitable moisture meter) and that active moisture or water vapor infiltration is not present.
11. Before installation, verify that walls are free from mold and mildew. If mold or mildew is present, or if walls show visible moisture damage, or if moisture content exceeds recommendations, do not proceed with installation until the condition has been fully corrected under the direction of a qualified expert. Moisture in and behind the wall must be eliminated. Depending upon the severity of the damage, mold or mildew in many cases may be removed by washing the walls with warm, soapy water and/or treating: with a diluted bleach solution. Walls then must be fully dried prior to application of wallcovering. Application of mildew inhibiting primer products is recommended. However severe or persistent mold or mildew conditions require professional evaluation and remediation.
12. After installation, the walls and wallcovering should be monitored for potential moisture or vapor infiltration. Any such infiltration after installation must be promptly eliminated.
13. Use of a mildew inhibitor in the adhesive is recommended.
Download Commercial Wallcovering Hanging Instructions (PDF)
Download Commercial Wallcovering Hanging Instructions (Spanish) (PDF)